Judge orders Tesla to pay $243 million over fatal Autopilot crash
- by Independent
- Feb 20, 2026
- 0 Comments
- 0 Likes Flag 0 Of 5
Friday 20 February 2026 17:30 GMT
Bookmark McGee previously settled with the plaintiffs.
The verdict was the first from a federal jury concerning a fatal accident involving Autopilot.
In seeking a reversal, Tesla said McGee deserved sole blame for the crash, his Model S wasn't defective, and the verdict defied common sense.
Tesla said automakers "do not insure the world against harms caused by reckless drivers," and punitive damages should be zero because it did not exhibit "reckless disregard for human life" under Florida law.
Lawyers for the plaintiffs also did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
open image in gallery
Dillon Angulo, who was injured in a 2019 crash involving a Tesla Model S operating on Autopilot, receives treatment in a hospital
(Singleton Schreiber)
Tesla has faced many similar lawsuits over its vehicles' self-driving capabilities, but they have been resolved or dismissed without going to trial.
Musk, the world's richest person, has long touted Tesla as a leader in autonomous driving for private vehicles and robotaxis.
A judgement against Tesla could be especially damaging as the company works to convince the public its self-driving technology is safe during a planned rollout of hundreds of thousands of Tesla robotaxis on U.S. roads by the end of 2026.
More about
Please first to comment
Related Post
Stay Connected
Tweets by elonmuskTo get the latest tweets please make sure you are logged in on X on this browser.
Energy





