Judge upholds $243M verdict against Tesla in Autopilot crash that killed woman
- by New York Post
- Feb 20, 2026
- 0 Comments
- 0 Likes Flag 0 Of 5
AI fears hammering shares of brokers like Charles Schwab, LPL — but humans aren’t panicking
They awarded compensatory damages of $19.5 million to Benavides’ estate and $23.1 million to Angulo, plus $200 million of punitive damages to be split between them. McGee previously settled with the plaintiffs.
The verdict was the first from a federal jury concerning a fatal accident involving Autopilot.
In seeking a reversal, Tesla said McGee deserved sole blame for the crash, his Model S wasn’t defective, and the verdict defied common sense.
In seeking a reversal, Elon Musk’s Tesla said McGee deserved sole blame for the crash, his Model S wasn’t defective, and the verdict defied common sense. Tesla is expected to appeal.
AP
Tesla said automakers “do not insure the world against harms caused by reckless drivers,” and punitive damages should be zero because it did not exhibit “reckless disregard for human life” under Florida law.
Lawyers for the plaintiffs also did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Tesla has faced many similar lawsuits over its vehicles’ self-driving capabilities, but they have been resolved or dismissed without going to trial.
Musk, the world’s richest person, has long touted Tesla as a leader in autonomous driving for private vehicles and robotaxis.
Filed under
Please first to comment
Related Post
Stay Connected
Tweets by elonmuskTo get the latest tweets please make sure you are logged in on X on this browser.
Energy





